Community Action Leadership Plan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Community Action Leadership Plan

Community Action Leadership Program (CLAP) is a student-based initiative that allows participants to design and implement community-based action plans. Throughout the course of the summer and extendin

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Nancy's Ideas!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Nancy Ding

Nancy's Ideas! Empty
PostSubject: Nancy's Ideas!   Nancy's Ideas! I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 10:03 pm

Name: Nancy Ding

Issue 1: Interracial Interactions
Details: I've noticed that many people in all age groups tend to socialize mainly with members of the same race/ethnicity. I would like to encourage interracial bonding and break down the existing cultural barriers specifically in the high school environment.
Research links:

http://www.vancouverobserver.com/politics/investigations/2011/03/24/south-asian-sir-winston-churchill-secondary-school-frenchies
Comment: Even though the article is about a school in Canada, I feel like schools in NYC are pretty similar although with different ethnic groups.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/cchr/pdf/a_study_of_nyc_hs_students_and_edu_staff_on_prejudice_and_race_relations_opd.pdf
Comment: This is a 1989 study about prejudice and race relations in NYC high schools. While it's not exactly up to date, it shows that this issue of people of the same ethnic group grouping together has been around for a long time.

Sorry I only have one issue so far, I'll post more as I do more research.
Back to top Go down
ivypancake

Nancy's Ideas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nancy's Ideas!   Nancy's Ideas! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 1:51 am

I like the idea but it's a lot harder said then done. People in general just tend to drift into groups with with their ethnicity. I think if people learned more about different cultures and ethnicities, they would be open minded and more accepting. In order to visually display the uniqueness of different cultures, maybe people can put on a multicultural show or presentation that educates others.
Back to top Go down
Laura Williams

Nancy's Ideas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nancy's Ideas!   Nancy's Ideas! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 9:02 pm

This IS very cool Nancy! would you be able to like start an after school group where people of different ethnicities could hang out and play games? like the ice breaker games we have played? i think the only conflict of that would be how to modivate people to join.. im not sure how your school works but if you could somehow through your hard efforts create somekind of exciting activity for people with different ethnic backrounds to all participate and want to participate in that would just be awesome!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nancy's Ideas! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nancy's Ideas!   Nancy's Ideas! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nancy's Ideas!
Page 1 of 1